- 1 large loaf whole-grain bread or 2 small baguettes, cubed & set out to dry overnight
- 100g uncooked green lentils
- 3 Tbsp olive oil or vegan butter
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2stalks celery, diced
- salt & pepper
- 800 ml vegetable stock made with 2 cubes ( For stuffing)
- 350 ml vegetable stock made with 1 cube
- 1 flax egg (1 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 2 1/2 Tbsp water)
- 3/4 tsp dried sage
- It’s best to cube the bread the night before and leave it uncovered on a counter to dry out and make the stuffing early the next day.
- Cook the lentils by rinsing them in cold water with the 350ml stock.
- Cook over a medium heat until they are gently boiling. Lower to a simmer and cook for 30mins uncovered.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a tray with foil.
- Prepare your flaxseed egg and set aside.
- Saute the onion and celery in olive oil and season them with salt and pepper. Cook until translucent.
- Add most of the broth and add the remaining ingredients (sage, cooked veggies, flax egg, and lentils) and mix with a wooden spoon. It should take the consistency of a meatloaf. Add more stock if its too dry and more bread if it is too moist.
- Add to the baking tray and cover with foil and bake for 45mins, remove the foil and raise the temperature to 200°C and cook for 15mins.