If you want to learn about veganism there’s no one better to learn from than a vegan. Here I interview my vegan friend on how he feels about veganism.
- How long ago did you go Vegan?
6 months ago.
- What was the reason that you went vegan?
Mostly health, particularly asthma
- But what about the animals?
Firstly it was for health, but I’m becoming more aware of the animal exploitation and the animals being free of exploitation is a happy side-effect.
- What is your favourite food that is vegan
- What is the main benefits you have felt since going vegan?
Using my inhaler less. Went from using it daily to only having to use it when I have the flu or a cold. It doesn’t get rid of asthma but does lessen the symptoms. I also feel much fitter which is important when I am very active. I have also lost weight while never feeling hungry.
- What food do you miss the most?
Tuna sandwich with sweetcorn.
- What food do you miss the least?
- Do you think that veganism is a trend that will go away?
No, I believe this is a movement. I for one couldn’t stomach animal products now and the benefits are too much to lose.
- What is the most difficult thing about being vegan?
Eating out and trying to participate in social situations around food. Where I live there are limited choices.
- Where do you get your protein?
Wherever the animals get it (And peanut butter)
- What piece of advice would you give to someone who’s thinking of going vegan?
I would say do it in stages. I went vegetarian first and it was less drastic. You can only do your best
- Which online resource would you say is the best for vegans?
There are a variety of Facebook groups which are great for recipes and advice.
- What is the most annoying question people ask you?
“Where do you get your protein?” or “do you eat fish?”
- Have you had negative reactions from family or friends since going vegan?
Some family members do think it is extreme and some silly jokes from friends.
- Did you have any misconceptions about veganism before you went vegan?
I did think it would be difficult to get protein. I didn’t think I would able to do it. I didn’t realise how much choice I would have. Veganism is more than just salads.