Roast Vegetables (Carrot, Parsnip and Potato)
- 2 kg potatoes
- 6 parsnips
- 6 carrots
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Peel all your vegetables and chop the carrots and parsnips lengthways.
- Break the garlic into individual cloves without peeling them and bash with the back of a spoon. Separate the rosemary leaves.
- Boil the potatoes in a large pan of salted water, boil these for five minutes. Add the parsnips and carrots and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Drain and allow to steam dry.
- Separate the potatoes and place in a pan with a lid. Shake the pan to beaten up the edges of the potatoes. Doing this will provide the beaten edges which give your roasties that nice crisp.
- Put the roasting tray over a medium heat and add olive oil, rosemary and garlic cloves.
- Add the vegetables to the tray shaking so as they are all coated in the flavours. Ensure the vegetables are in one layer so that they roast evenly.
- Place in the oven for 1 hour
- 600g Brussels sprouts, trimmed at the base
- 60ml olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and bashed
- 1-2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Add the brussels sprouts to a pan of boiling salted water and cook for 5 minutes until tender then drain and cool and slice in the middle.
- Heat 3 tbsp olive oil in a pan over medium heat and add the garlic until golden. Remove the garlic and add the chilli flakes and salt to the oil.
- Place the sprouts face down in the oil and cook for 10 minutes without turning or moving.
- Add the remaining olive oil and the lemon juice and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Place on a serving platter and top with the lemon zest to serve.
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- 2 sticks of celery
- 25 g dried porcini mushrooms
- olive oil
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons port
- 2 tablespoons quality blackcurrant jam
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 teaspoons Marmite
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1.5 litres organic vegetable stock
- Peel and roughly chop the onions and carrots. Chop the celery and porcini.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat with oil and the herbs. Fry for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Mix in the port and the jam and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, Marmite, puree and vinegar and stock
- Bring the pan to the boil and then simmer until 10minutes until it has thickened.
- Pour through a fine sieve into a container and use a spoon to release the flavours of the vegetables.
Looking for some vegan starters: