First things first I have to admit something – I don’t actually like Quinoa. There I said it. I find the texture off-putting and I have a tendency to distance myself from any current food fads. I swear I can actually hear all my vegan buddies eyes rolling at me. That being said one of the things that’s great about quinoa is that it goes with everything and it is so good at absorbing lots of other flavours. So whenever I do cook with Quinoa (for all the great nutritional benefits) I tend to think of it as a spring clean of my spice rack. This recipe is one of my absolute favourites and I actually find myself making it even when I have lots of other delicious grains in the house. It is so important to get all that fibre into our diets so I always feel good after I eat this.
You gotta love herbs and spices!
For more on the benefits of fibre: https://pie-or-2.org/2017/10/11/benefits-of-fibre/
- 1tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon curry powder of choice (optional)
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 can light coconut milk
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well in a fine mesh colander
- ⅓ cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 handfuls of greens of choice
- Cook the quinoa: In a large pot with a lid, warm the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger, turmeric, curry powder and cardamom and stir for about 30 seconds there should be a nice fragrance in your kitchen now.
- Pour in the coconut milk, water, rinsed quinoa and raisins. Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover and reduce simmer.
- Cook for 15 minutes, then remove from heat and rest for 5 minutes.
- Fluff the quinoa with a fork.
- Stir in the salt, vinegar and greens