Recipe Name: Tomato Soup
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cooking time: ~1 hour
Serves- 4 for dinner or 6 for lunch
- 25kg tomatoes
- I medium onion
- 1 small carrot
- 1 celery stick
- 2 tsp of olive oil
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 pints of vegetable stock (made with two stock cubes)
- Cut all the tomatoes into quarters removing the hard cores which will not soften when cooked.
- Chop the onion carrot and celery into small pieces
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and add the chopped veg mix and cook on a low heat for around 10 minutes until the vegetables have softened and are a paler colour
- Squirt in 2tsp of tomato puree and mix it until all the vegetables are coated and turned red.
- Next add the tomatoes and the pinch of sugar place the lid back on and cook on a low heat shaking the pan from time to time do this for 10 minutes
- Add the stock and turn the heat way up until the pan is bubbling rapidly with the lid off, once this happens turn the heat down to simmer for 25 minutes with the lid on. Blend and sieve before serving.
- Depending on your tastes you can try any of the following –
- Add some crushed garlic with the vegetable mix a single clove gives a subtle hint which is nice and also garlic is good for you!
- Adding some cumin or some chilli for heat goes down a treat good for the cardiovascular system
- Serve with garlic bread (why tomato soup and garlic bread isn’t in mainstream restaurants I do not know) – Garlic bread goes with everything.
- Make some croutons with black pepper and olive oil and add to the soup.
- Add some pasta to help the soup provide more satiety.